My brothers and sisters in the Jewish community from an Israeli American Rabbi,
Peoplehood, for me, is the essence of Judaism. Peoplehood bears with it the sense of brotherhood, the sense of “I see you” and “I’ve got your back,” as was the case in the months and days preceding the 1967 war when the Jewish world rallied for the safety of Israel. Today, because of the technological advancement of weaponry and its destructive power, Israel is in a much more dire strait.
We, the people of Israel, need to hear and feel: "I’m your brother" – from you.
We need your support now more than ever before. There is a lot you can do right now and, in the future, when we rebuild all the places devastated by the furious fire of hate.
Here is what you can do:
- please donate directly to Israeli organizations. This is the most practical, hands-on you can do now–to help with acquiring medical and safety equipment.
2. Help with explaining the situation, especially on social media. This is a war we tried to avoid for decades, many concessions were made, which consequently, allowed Hamas to gain power. This is a war against pure evil that finds satisfaction in brutality and killing, exploiting their own people.
– As of now we have 1,300 people dead and we estimate the numbers will rise. Please adopt one person from the list to your heart and say Kaddish for them when you are at services or at home. Please try to contact their family, so that they know that their brothers and sisters abroad are with them. Here is a list of names: https://www.kan.org.il/content/kannews/defense/559346/
4. Pray - Pray and spread awareness about the many civilian hostages, among them young children and elderly who were abducted from their homes. Here is a list of names: https://www.israelhayom.co.il/news/defense/article/14684663
5. Peace - Peace is a noble aspiration that we, the Jewish people, always strive for. But right now, we are still fighting for our survival and burying our dead children and loved ones.
In reality, Hamas killed any chance for peace, deliberately, on October 7, by brutally murdering and torturing 1,300 people, among them babies.
Peace means normalization, and there is nothing normal about neighbors who come to your house to kill you, burn your home down, and abduct your children. Would you trust such a neighbor?
The army estimates that there were about 2,500 “neighbors” who came viciously, motivated to do their atrocities, and many more “neighbors” came to loot the homes of the dead people.
For this, we are at a loss for words, not to mention trust.
In these very difficult, traumatic days, the people of Israel need all the support they can get from the greater “People of Israel”- Am Israel.
To help us feel connected as one people, please let us hear, see, and feel you Stand with Israel.
Rabbi, Dr. Belle Michael